Welcome to EEGD
The Engineering Geology Division of GSA is the oldest engineering geology organization in the United States. We are the only GSA division to have our own publications series and we support state of the art presentations at our meetings. Since engineering geologists use knowledge within all fields of geology in their application of our science to benefit society, we are truly the interdisciplinary division.
underway for the 2013
Geological Society of America Annual Meeting from
26 - 30 October in Denver Colorado. Visit the GSA Meeting
for more information. All EEGD-sponsored
sessions are listed on the meetings
- The Environmental
and Engineering Geology Division's Awards Banquet will be
held Tuesday, October
29th at the Broker
at 821 17th St in Denver at 6pm (immediately following the
Lecture). Be sure to register for the dinner during the
conference registration process. The cost is $20 for professional
members and $15 for students.
- The Environmental
and Engineering Geology Division Business Meeting will be
held from 1 to 5pm on Sunday, October 27th in the Hyatt Regency Sandstone Room.
- James McCalpin will be giving the Richard H. Jahns distinguished
at 4pm on Tuesday, October 29th at 4pm in the Colorado Convention
Center room 203. His talk is titled “The Mountains are
apart; a spectrum of mass failures from landslides through deep-seated
gravitation spreading (sackung), to “unfolding” of folds.”
- Congratulations to the 2013 EEGD Award Winners:
- Jahns Lecturer - Greg Hempen
- Distinguished Practice - Susan Cannon
- Meritorious Service - Bill Schulz
- E.B. Burwell Award - Luis Gonzales de Vallejo and Mercedes Ferrer
- Shlemon Scholarship Awards - Chelsea Windus, Matthew
Waugh and Ian Donovan
- Congratulations to newly elected 2013-2014 EEGD Management Board:
- Chair - Dennis Staley (USGS)
- Vice-Chair - Bill Burns (Oregon DOGAMI)
- Secretary - Matthew Crawford (Kentucky Geological Survey)
- Member-at-Large - Thad Wasklewicz (East Carolina University)
- Thanks to our outgoing Chair, Norm Levine (College of Charleston) for his dedication to the division over the past four years!
- In light of the popularity of the offer, EEGD is continuing to offer FREE MEMBERSHIP IN EEGD for students. Visit the GSA Membership website to register now!!!
- ATTENTION STUDENTS - Please check the awards
page for information on the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Fund.
This fund consists of two awards, the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Award,
which supports Doctoral and Masters level Research, and the Roy J. Shlemon Meeting Award,
which helps defray the costs of of meeting attendance for both graduate
and undergraduate students. Meeting award applications are
due three months prior to the conference you plan on attending.
- The Environmental and Engineering Geology Division is seeking a volunteer(s) to edit our Newsletter and webpage. Please contact Dennis Staley (email@example.com) if you are interested.
21 October 2013:
23 January 2013:
- The January 2013 edition of The Engineering Geologist, the official newsletter of EEGD is now available online.
09 November 2012:
- Congratulations to the new management board officers:
- Chair: Norman Levine
- Vice-Chair: Dennis Staley
- Secretary: William Burns
- Member-at-Large: Matthew Crawford
- EEGD would like to thank our Past Chair, William Schulz, for all of his efforts to support the division during his tenure on the management board.
19 September 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that Shinya Nakamura, Seiichi Gibo, Kazuhiko Egashira and Sho Kimura are the winners of the 2012 E.B. Burwell Jr. Award for their publication “Platy layer silicate minerals for controlling residual strength in landslide soils of different origins and geology,” published in Geology, Volume 38, No. 8, pp. 743-796.
18 June 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that Dr. Scott Burns (Portland State University) has been selected as the recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Practice Award.
- We are pleased to announce that Dr. Abdul Shakoor (Kent State University) has been selected as the recipient of the 2012 Meritorious Service Award.
- The EEGD Business meeting at the 2012 GSA Conference will be held from 1 - 5pm on Sunday, November 4th in the Trade Room at the Charlotte Westin. We have also updated our plans for the celebration of our 65th anniversary at this year's GSA Conference in Charlotte, NC. Check our Anniversary Page for current information.
04 June 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that Greg Hempen has been selected as the 2013 - 2014 Richard H. Jahns Distinguished Lecturer. More information can be found here.
- We are pleased to announce that Ashley S. Tizzano (Kent State University) and Matthew Wayman (Kent State University) have been selected as recipients of awards from the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Fund in Engineering Geology. More information can be found here.
Upcoming GSA and EEGD Events and Deadlines