Welcome to EEGD
The Engineering Geology Division of GSA is the oldest engineering geology organization in the United States. We are the only GSA division to have our own publications series and we support state of the art presentations at our meetings. Since engineering geologists use knowledge within all fields of geology in their application of our science to benefit society, we are truly the interdisciplinary division.
- DEADLINE ALERT!!! Nominations for the Richard H. Jahns Distinguished Lecturer, the EEGD Distinguished Practice Award, and the EEGD Meritorious Service award are due by 28 February 2013. In addition, applications for the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship award for students is March 15th. You may find more information on the EEGD awards and Jahns Lecturer position here.
- The January 2013 edition of The
Engineering Geologist, the official newsletter
of EEGD is now available online.
- In light of the popularity of the offer, EEGD is continuing to offer FREE MEMBERSHIP IN EEGD for students. Visit the GSA Membership website to register now!!!
- ATTENTION STUDENTS - Please check the awards page for information on the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Fund. This fund consists of two awards, the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Award, which supports Doctoral and Masters level Research, and the Roy J. Shlemon Meeting Award, which helps defray the costs of of meeting attendance for both graduate and undergraduate students. Meeting award applications are due three months prior to the conference you plan on attending.
23 January 2013:
- The January 2013 edition of The Engineering Geologist, the official newsletter of EEGD is now available online.
09 November 2012:
- Congratulations to the new management board officers:
- Chair: Norman Levine
- Vice-Chair: Dennis Staley
- Secretary: William Burns
- Member-at-Large: Matthew Crawford
- EEGD would like to thank our Past Chair, William Schulz, for all of his efforts to support the division during his tenure on the management board.
17 October 2012:
- The 2012 GSA Conference in Charlotte, NC is rapidly approaching! We hope to see you at our EEGD events, including:
- The EEGD Management Board Meeting on Monday, November 6th from 1:30-5:30pm at the Charlotte Westin Trade Room.
- The Richard H Jahns Distinguished Lecture, from 4:15 - 5:30pm on Tuesday, November 6th at the Charlotte Convention Center Room 211AB.
- The 65th Anniversary Celebration and Award Reception, beginning at 6:30pm on Tuesday, November 6th at the Charlotte Convention Center Room 211AB. More information can be found here.
- The 28 Technical Sessions sponsored by EEGD. More information can be found here.
19 September 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that Shinya Nakamura, Seiichi Gibo, Kazuhiko Egashira and Sho Kimura are the winners of the 2012 E.B. Burwell Jr. Award for their publication “Platy layer silicate minerals for controlling residual strength in landslide soils of different origins and geology,” published in Geology, Volume 38, No. 8, pp. 743-796.
18 June 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that Dr. Scott Burns (Portland State University) has been selected as the recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Practice Award.
- We are pleased to announce that Dr. Abdul Shakoor (Kent State University) has been selected as the recipient of the 2012 Meritorious Service Award.
- The EEGD Business meeting at the 2012 GSA Conference will be held from 1 - 5pm on Sunday, November 4th in the Trade Room at the Charlotte Westin. We have also updated our plans for the celebration of our 65th anniversary at this year's GSA Conference in Charlotte, NC. Check our Anniversary Page for current information.
04 June 2012:
- We are pleased to announce that James McCalpin has been selected as the 2012 - 2013 Richard H. Jahns Distinguished Lecturer. More information can be found here.
- We are pleased to announce that Ashley S. Tizzano (Kent State University) and Matthew Wayman (Kent State University) have been selected as recipients of awards from the Roy J. Shlemon Scholarship Fund in Engineering Geology. More information can be found here.
Upcoming GSA and EEGD Events and Deadlines