LAURENCE L. SLOSS AWARD FOR SEDIMENTARY GEOLOGY
Awarded annually for outstanding career accomplishments in sedimentary geology and contributions to GSA.
2006 Gerald M. Friedman
2005 Teresa E. Jordan
2004 James Lee Wilson
2003 Robert J. Weimer
2002 A. R. (Pete) Palmer
2001 Robert H. Dott, Jr.
2000 George D. Klein
1999 William R. Dickinson
Rules and Procedures:
1) Sloss Award Committee. The Sloss Award Committee will consist of six Sedimentary Geology Division members. The initial Committee will be appointed by the Division chair and will consist of two individuals who will serve 1999, two individuals who will serve 1999-2000, and two individuals who will serve 1999-2001. In 2000 and subsequent years, two individuals will be appointed by the Division Chair for three-year terms; one of these individuals will be the previous year's recipient, if that person is willing to serve. A Chair of the Sloss Award Committee will be appointed for 1999-2000; in subsequent years the Chair of the Committee will be selected by the Division Chair.
2) Nominations Procedures. Nominations will be from the Division membership at large, and should consist of a letter describing the Nominee's accomplishments in the field of sedimentary geology and contributions to GSA, as well as a Curriculum Vita. Nominations should be forwarded to the Division Secretary-Treasurer, who will forward the dossiers to GSA Headquarters for copying and dissemination to the Sloss Awards Committee. The Nominee need not be a member of the Division or of GSA, but must have made valuable contributions to the Society. The dossiers of nominees who did not receive the award in any given year will be retained and considered for two succeeding years; thus, nominations are valid for a total of three years. Updated information for carry-over candidates may be sent to the Division Secretary-Treasurer during the ordinary call for nominations. Sloss Award Committee members are encouraged to initiate nominations for the Award.
3) Recipient Selection. The Sloss Award Committee may use whatever means they deem appropriate to select two candidates, whose names will be forwarded to the Management Board of the Sedimentary Geology Division. The Management Board will then determine, by simple majority vote, the recipient. The recipient will be confirmed by majority vote of the GSA Council.
4) The Award. The Award will consist of a certificate and a cash award of $1000. The Award will be presented at the Division Business Meeting and Awards Ceremony at the Annual Meeting of the Geological Society of America. The citationist will normally be the nominator, or other individual selected by the recipient in consultation with the Division Chair.
5) Endowment. The financial portion of the Award will be supported by an endowment held by the GSA Foundation. Contributions may be made to "Laurence L. Sloss Award for Sedimentary Geology Endowment Fund."
6) Timetable. The normal timetable for recipient selection will be as follows:
- Fall: Appointment of new members to the Sloss Award Committee
- Fall-Winter: Solicitation of nominations
- 1 March: Deadline for nominations
- 1 April: Sloss Award Committee presents two candidates to the Management Board
- 15 April: Management Board selects the recipient and forwards the name to GSA Council
- Second week of May: GSA Council votes on approval of recipient
- Late October or early November: Presentation of Award at the Division Business Meeting and Awards Ceremony (in connection with the Annual Meeting)
7) Sloss Award Committee Members.
Dr. Robert H. Dott, Jr., Chair: 1999-2000
Dr. Gerald R. Friedman: 1999
Dr. Teresa Jordan: 1999-2001
Dr. Gerard Middleton: 1999
Dr. Claudia Mora: 1999-2001
Dr. Rudy Slingerland: 1999-2000
Dr. William R. Dickinson: 2000-2002
Dr. J. Fred Read: 2000-2002
Dr. George D. Klein: 2001-2003
Dr. William Normark: 2001-2003
Dr. Gail M. Ashley: 2002-2004
Dr. Marjorie A. Chan: 2002-2004